Oxnard Workers’ Compensation Attorneys Fight for Employee Benefits
Fighting for the full amount you’re entitled to receive
The Pacific-coast city of Oxnard, known for its sunshine and strawberries, is the most populous city in Ventura County, with more than 200,000 residents. It’s very likely that some of those residents will suffer work-related injuries. Most will receive the workers’ compensation benefits they’re entitled to, but many will have their legitimate claims denied, not be able to access the treatment they need, or get cleared to return to work before they are physically ready. If this has happened to you, it’s important to know your rights and put a determined advocate on your side. At Crane Flores, LLP, we are prepared to help with all types of workers’ compensation issues. Our knowledgeable attorneys draw on more than 40 years of combined experience to provide the strong representation you need to get the positive results you deserve.
Your workers’ comp benefits in Oxnard, CA
There are five basic categories of workers’ compensation benefits you can claim depending on the nature of your work-related injury or illness:
- Medical care — Workers’ comp pays 100 percent of the expense for reasonable and necessary medical treatment.
- Temporary disability benefits — If your injury prevents you from doing your usual job, you are eligible for payments to make up about two-thirds of your lost income.
- Permanent disability benefits — If you don’t make a complete recovery, you are entitled to receive payments based on the extent of your disability.
- Supplemental job displacement benefits — If you can’t return to your old job because of the extent of your injury, you could receive vouchers to offset the cost of retraining or skill enhancement.
- Death benefits — When a worker dies as a result of a job-related injury or illness, workers’ compensation pays benefits to the surviving spouse, children or other dependents.
Crane Flores helps with conflicts that can arise related to any of these benefits.
Workers’ compensation eligibility in Oxnard
In a city of Oxnard’s size, workplace injuries are all too common. However, employers and insurance companies often try to deny workers’ comp benefits by ruling workers ineligible. Here are some important facts about your eligibility and the way an insurer might try to justify denying your claim:
- Your coverage starts on your first day of work — However, the law requires you to have an employer-employee relationship with your company, and some employers may deliberately misclassify you as an independent contractor to avoid having to pay benefits. Many employees are denied benefits wrongfully because management misclassifies them.
- Workers’ comp pays benefits even when you are at fault — Workers’ comp is a no-fault insurance system, so a worker’s contributory negligence does not affect coverage. Still, employers often claim a worker is not covered because of deliberate self-harm or reckless horseplay that violates company policy.
- As long as your injury or illness is work related, you are covered — The law says an injury is covered if it occurs during the course of employment and arises out of employment. That usually means you were doing something that benefited your employer and exposed you to risks you would not have faced but for your employment. A company could claim an injury happened offsite or off hours, but coverage might still apply.
Our attorneys investigate every aspect of your injury or illness to prove your eligibility for benefits. But you must be sure to report your injury promptly to your employer; a delay could mean you forfeit your rights to benefits. If you fail to notify your employer within 30 days, so your employer can’t investigate the incident that led to your injury, you could lose your right to file a claim.
Workers’ compensation covers various types of injuries in Oxnard
Oxnard’s economy is varied, including agriculture (Boskovich Farms and Gills Onions), medicine (St. John’s Regional Medical Center), education (Oxnard Union High School District), and manufacturing (Waterway Plastics, Haas Automation, and Aluminum Precision Products). The city is also a major transportation hub for Southern California, connecting Amtrak, the Union Pacific Railroad, Metrolink, and Greyhound, and maintaining an active regional airport. Varied economic activity means a variety of on-the-job injuries and illnesses, which include those caused by:
- Being struck by an object
- Motor vehicle or machine accidents
- Repetitive motion
- Slip and fall accidents
You can file a workers’ comp claim without fear, since it’s illegal for your employer to punish you in any way or fire you for exercising your rights. If you are having any problems getting the benefits you’re entitled to, we can help.
Speak to a workers’ compensation attorney in Oxnard today
If you’ve been injured on the job in the Oxnard area, Crane Flores, LLP can help you access the benefits you deserve. Call today at 805.568.5927 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. Our office is located in the Rio Lindo area, just off the 101 in the Topa Financial Plaza.
365 E Esplanade Dr #203
Oxnard, CA 93036