15 W Carrillo St #310, Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Free Consultation | 24/7

805.568.5927 805.568.5927

Jones Act (Longshoreman) Cases

Jones Act (Longshoreman) Cases

From some of the biggest and busiest ports in the world such as the Port of Oxnard and the Port of Long Beach, to niche ports like Port Hueneme in Ventura County, and from the ports to drilling platforms and the open seas, the attorneys at Crane Flores, LLP protect the rights of seamen and longshoremen who are injured on the job while engaged in their maritime duties.

Helping injured maritime workers

Maritime workers who are injured on the job are covered under a federal law known as the Jones Act. This law allows longshoremen and other covered maritime workers to sue their employer when the negligence of the shipowner, captain, or fellow crew member has caused the worker to sustain a personal injury. Covered workers may receive compensation for current and future medical expenses, including job retraining and physical therapy as needed, as well as lost wages or any future diminished earning capacity. Workers may also recover for other damages they have suffered, such as pain and suffering or loss of enjoyment of life.

In order to be covered as a seaman under the Jones Act, a worker must spend at least 30 percent of his or her time in the service of a vessel on navigable waters. The Jones Act covers all types of vessels, from barges, tugs and fishing vessels, to ferries, tour boats, and cruise ships. Employees on commercial boats may also sue when they are injured on a ship that failed to meet the federal standard of seaworthiness, meaning that it was not safe for its intended purpose. A ship could be rendered unseaworthy based on missing safety equipment, lack of tools on board, being undermanned or out of compliance with safety regulations, or possessing an unreasonably slippery or obstructed deck. When a ship is not seaworthy, the injured worker does not necessarily have to prove negligence or fault on the part of the employer.

Seek experienced legal representation

If you have been injured while on a ship or drilling platform, or in the process of unloading a ship, you have the right to seek compensation for your injuries with a jury trial in state or federal court. Contact Crane Flores, LLP by phone at 805.568.5927 for vigorous and effective representation from a knowledgeable and experienced personal injury attorney.


Contact Form

We will respond to your inquiry in a timely fashion. Thank you.

Quick Contact Form