Personal Injury Attorney in Oxnard, Ventura, & Santa Barbara
Call Us 24/7 805.628.4967

What Happens If the Other Driver Doesn’t Have Insurance?

Because California is an at-fault state, plaintiffs can file a claim against the other driver’s insurance provider to pursue compensation. However, stats show that about 12.6% of drivers were uninsured as recently as 2019. When a driver doesn’t have insurance, it can significantly impact how you move forward with a compensation claim.

California requires drivers to have uninsured motorist coverage that can help in these situations. Here’s how it works:

Filing a Claim with Your Own Insurance

You would file an uninsured motorist claim with your insurance provider. Make sure you keep receipts for all damages you endure, and it might still help to hire a lawyer to help you with the process. Even though you pay high monthly premiums for protection, insurance companies still look out for their profits above all else.

Gather as much information as possible if you can, such as the other driver’s contact and license information. If the other driver runs, try to remember their license plate number.

When Insurance Doesn’t Help

Like regular liability insurance, you have limits for uninsured motorist coverage. You might need to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party for your damages. That’s why it’s vital to get the other driver’s license plate if possible so that you know who to file a lawsuit against. Hiring a lawyer is one of the most effective ways to protect your rights after an uninsured motorist accident.

At Crane Flores, LLP, we recognize the challenges you might encounter following an accident. Our car accident lawyers are here to help you move forward with confidence. If you endure an accident in Oxnard or anywhere within Ventura County or Santa Barbara County, know that we’ve got you covered. Let us be there to safeguard your rights.

Call us at (805) 628-4967 to discuss your options in a free consultation.